The current ongoing health crisis has forced everyone to move their academics, talent assessments, and certifications online.
Since we don’t know how long our studies, training, and examinations for everyone will keep happening online, corporate organizations, schools, colleges, and universities are taking the help of online proctoring software to make online exams easier to conduct.
For those who don’t know what proctoring means, it is merely a process of invigilating an examination.
Looking for Online Exam Software? Check out SoftwareSuggest’s list of the online exam software solutions.
A ‘proctor’ is a person who acts as a supervisor during an exam, and ‘proctoring’ means supervising an examination or test of students, candidates, employees, etc.
Proctoring is just a fancy word for an invigilator who keeps an eye on the students giving an exam – and the exam could be physical or even online. But the methods of invigilating AKA proctoring are different.
During a physical examination, a teacher/supervisor is physically present around the students/candidates while they give an exam.
Online exams are conducted with students located remotely, which means there is no way of knowing whether they are maintaining the integrity of the test. This is where online proctoring software comes into the picture to make supervision more efficient, standardized, and straightforward.
After the conclusion of any online exam, there is a comprehensive review document, which elaborates, dissects, and explains the student’s performance in the test. But with the implementation of an online invigilation service such as online proctoring software, the entire process is not only automated but it is more efficient, standardized, and simple.
Top 15 Online Exam & Assessment Platform with Proctoring
The benefits of proctored examinations online through remote proctoring software are enormous. And several online remote proctoring service providers offer an application to help you supervise your tests in a budget-friendly way.
But, as a user, you must know which vendor is trustworthy and which exam assessment platforms meet your specific requirements. To make it easier for you, below, we have listed down the top 16 online proctoring software providers:
ExamOnline is a full-featured solution for online examination – entrance test, recruitment examination, skill assessments, certifications, corporate hiring, etc. It is a platform that provides end-to-end assistance right from application management to conducting the online examination, result processing and scorecard/certificate generation.
- AI-Driven Remote Proctor
- Auto authorization of candidates using facial recognition.
- Automated alerts and warnings if there are:
- No face present
- Wrong face present
- Multiple faces present
- Object detection – mobile, books, etc
- Facial movement detection
- Exam window navigation
- Human speech detection
- Lite, auto and human proctoring modes.
- Provision of secondary camera video feed for 360-degree candidate view.
- Desktop screen capturing during the exam.
- Multiple question types
- Randomization of questions and options
- Different marking schemes including negative marking percentage.
- Difficulty levels and topic specific question selection
- Fixed start and end time
- Encrypted question bank
- Multiple reports available out of the box.
- Ability to create custom reports for specific requirements.
- Download answer/Evaluation sheets.
- Secure browser for anti-cheat exams.
- Online evaluation for descriptive questions.
- Secure and scalable cloud-hosted infrastructure.
- Highly customizable exam platform.
- Dual camera feed for continuous 360 Degree view.
- AI-powered facial recognition and detection.
- Full Video & Audio streaming and recording during the exam.
- Comprehensive reporting with activity trail and fairness score.
- Human speech capturing feature.
- Proctor controls on candidate exam.
- Secure browser interface.
- Highly scalable cloud-based solution.
- Free support and training.
- Free mock test for candidates.
- No free version available.
- Works only on Google Chrome browser.
- Mobile responsive UI but mobile app not available.
SpeedExam is versatile online exam software offers several advanced features like automatic grading and instant reports. SpeedExam allows you to create assessments with just three simple steps and helps you customize assessments for better evaluation, better security, quick selection, and easy certifications.
The best part of SpeedExam is they provide a free version that is not time limited with 25 free exams every month forever. And it’s pricing is the most competitive among all the competitors in the market.
This multifaceted assessment platform has been extensively used in sectors like recruitment, education, manufacturing, banking, logistics, insurance, aviation, and healthcare. SpeedExam’s comprehensive database allows you to do more with fewer resources and its robust customer service makes the experience utterly smooth. Additionally, SpeedExam is compliant with GDPR regulations and allows encrypted storage of data.
SpeedExam has 10000+ happy customers like Microsoft, Amazon, Verizon, Samsung, Mc Afee, IBM, Astra Zeneca, Marriott, Ericsson, Maruti Suzuki, Hitachi, University of Toronto, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and many other big names.
- Automated Proctoring
- Automatic Grading
- 30,000 concurrent tests
- Assessment Management
- Candidate Management
- Candidate Management
- Screen Recording
- Candidate Verification
- Online Tests
- Question Randomisation
- Test Scheduling
- Advanced Reporting & Analytics
- Certification & Licencing
- Time Limits
- Weighted Questions
- Easy to use
- Easy to learn
- Quick set up
- Detailed Performance Reports
- Questions can be imported through spreadsheets
- PDF downloads
- API Integration
- Email notifications for registrations
- The interface could look a bit better
- The image inclusion process could be improved
- Scope for improvement in proctoring
3. Mercer | Mettl
Mercer|Mettl’s suite of anti-cheating technologies enables a secure and fair test-taking experience for the high-stake exams. With a base of more than 4000 clients, Mercer | Mettl has conducted over 12 million proctored assessments in a year so far in 150+ universities across the globe. Also offering comprehensive assessment solutions, Mettl’s range of functions competency, online as well as remote proctoring, results in analytics, and payment gateway for users to conveniently pay exam fees.
- Candidate tracking
- Self-service portal
- Workflow management
- Reference checking
- Options between AI-based proctoring and manual remote proctoring
- 3-point candidate authentication
- Image recognition, mobile phone prevention
- Can be deployed in Cloud, SaaS, Web, & Mobile (iOS & Android)
- Live in-person training option
- 24/7 live contact support
- Not a free version
- Does not give a free trial
Examus is one of the most cost-effective and flexible online proctoring services. It has an algorithm that helps analyze online user behavior. The tool has a tech stack that uses a webcam for facial recognition and emotion detection. It is ideal for users who do not wish to share their data. The list of Examus products includes proctoring service tools, consumer video analytics software, and user engagement and attention video recognition API. Moreover, Examus is supported by big names like Microsoft, Berkeley Skydeck, and American Councils EdTech Accelerator.
- Provides mobile and computer support
- Simple API
- Cutting-edge video recognition
- AI-based real-time monitoring
- Highly scalable and cost-effective
- Protects user data
- Low bandwidth demand
- Supports Limited Mobile Platforms
- Not ideal for startups, freelancers and agencies
ProctorU provides three kinds of online remote proctoring services that offer exemplary functionalities such as auto proctoring and live proctoring. It is a preferred choice among many academic institutes and deals with proctoring of examinations through an AI-based system. Catering to the needs of around 1000 customers, this online remote proctoring software facilitates ID authentication and has a per-day proctoring capacity of conducting more than 10,000 exams.
- Session launch with a live proctor
- Dedicated account team for assistance
- Multi-factor identity verification via a live proctor
- Schedule or on-demand access 24/7
- AI-based behavior analysis
- Verifies the surrounding quickly
- Convenient to use for exams conducted from homes
- Protects your credibility
- Noticeable latency in starting a test
- Too sensitive to allow even a little noise such as muttering
Examity is another online proctoring software that presently has around 500 clients worldwide due to its seamless proctoring software system. Examity’s online remote proctoring application provides auto, life, and ID authentication solutions. It caters to universities, corporate institutes, as well as enterprise testing organizations.
- Auto & Live proctoring
- AI-based software
- Curriculum management
- ID verification
- Reporting and analytics
- Customization on the software available
- Supports Web apps and Mobile apps
- Does not work well with freelancers
- No live support or training available
Verificient is a service provider that offers fast processing identity verification and monitoring via digital technologies from remote locations. Its online proctoring software is named Proctortrack. Verificient deals in artificial intelligence, machine learning, biometrics, and Trusted Identity as a Service (TIaaS), powered through computer vision.
- Automated remote monitoring
- Remote workforce management
- Delivers 95% accurate identity verification
- User-centered design of the software
- Technical support available 24/7
- Algorithmic processing for automated monitoring
- Multi-factor biometric authentication available
- No free version or trial period
- Susceptible to fraud
- Cannot accommodate all exam modes
This next-generation, completely automated AI-empowered online remote proctoring app can work without any human force and relieves your institute from the lengthy process of exam invigilation that is often packed with errors. Coupled with 24×7 customer service throughout the year, AIProctor is embedded with features such as AI exam cheating and fraud detection engines, virtual browser lockdown, location tracking, among others.
Their homepage is slightly different in looks and design as it is an index of all you need to know about their online proctoring software as pictured below:
- Good interfaced AI proctoring
- Secondary device monitoring
- Quick facial recognition
- Multiple voice detection and tracking
- Free trial available
- Easy question branching and assessments
- Tracks head movement
- Comes in the form of a web app
- No installation hassle
- Not an open-source software
- Doesn’t have a dashboard to navigate easily
- Doesn’t support mobile platform
The next entry on our list of online proctoring software is ExamSoft, which provides educational assessment technology. With an expansive client base that covers more than 1600 customers, ExamSoft has executed more than 55 million exams to date. ExamSoft is one of the leaders in premium computer-based testing and assessment technology. Coupled with a secure assessment platform, this application ensures that institutes can efficiently build, administer, mark, and analyze tests.
- Conducting surveys
- Certification management
- Multi-user collaboration
- Personalized assessments
- Automatic immediate assessment
- Showcases a report to candidates
- Intuitive app with secure testing
- Might face a few glitches and make users reboot their PCs and laptops
- Requires navigation training by the user before appearing for a test
Proview, a pioneering, fully automated cognitive remote proctoring solution, was created as a part of Talview’s goal to generate equal career opportunities for prospective candidates. This online remote proctoring system enables scheduling tests that are free from location constraints. Proview boasts an elite client base, comprising multiple Fortune 500 companies, spanning 102 nations.
- Candidate management
- Easy quiz generations
- Automatic grading
- Test scheduling
- Automated proctoring
- Easy third-party integration
- Automatic notifications
- Can randomize questions of tests
- Available only as a desktop application
- Cannot build a question library
11. Conduct Exam
Yet another online proctoring software, Conduct Exam, has a robust platform for conducting proctored examinations. Not only does it offer a range of innovative and impeccable proctoring solutions, but also all the features of their software can be implemented in colleges, universities, educational institutions as well as corporate establishments. Maintained by a qualified, specialized team, Conduct Exam has a high impact system that is extremely reliable in terms of results and speed.
- Customize software with the features you need
- Simplifies the complex process of campus placement via automation
- Easy to add/import questions from word/excel format
- Create online and psychometric tests quickly
- Easy user management
- Has a personal mobile app for easy proctoring
- No free version or free trial available
- Incorporating images might seem a bit difficult in the tests
A completely web-based solution, ProctorExam is developed to function as a standalone app or in combination with an existing environment. It is compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows operating systems and can be used by candidates to give tests while using their own devices.
- Wide-range modular monitoring solutions
- Allows the 360-degree view of a candidate’s workspace
- Optimized data design
- Works well with academic as well as corporate tests
- 24/7 support available
- Glitches while dual-view monitoring is active
- Requires a high-speed internet connection
13. PSI Bridge
PSI Services has been offering successful testing programs for over 70 years. Still, it has only recently developed its online proctoring software, PSI Bridge, to make online examinations easier for colleges, schools, and corporate entities. Ever since PSI made its online proctoring software available, they started assessing over 15 million annual assessments in over 160 countries.
- Enterprise integration
- Automated test security
- Custom reporting and analytics
- Smart onboarding
- Enables multi-modal delivery
- Easy identity verification
- Live support takes times to solve issues
- Complex analysis report makes it difficult to take better decisions
14. Pearson VUE
At first, only used to produce computer-based testing software. Today, it has the most innovative multi-modal integrated online proctoring software, onVUE, that incorporates multiple test delivery platforms with one registration system. With more than 500 clients across the globe, Pearson VUE caters to online proctoring and offline computer-based testing commercially.
- AI combined with live proctoring
- Face-matching technology
- ID verification
- Session monitoring
- Flexible with exam delivery options
- Provides a single dashboard for easy utility
- Customer service delays answering to issues
- Software glitches
- Need a strong internet connection
MeritTrac is one of India’s leading online proctoring software for its innovative scientific assessment methods for corporate, government, and academic institutions. It offers end-to-end assessment developments for business training, placement management, and exam administrations. MeritTrac provides customized proctoring software features depending on whether you are from either education, corporate, or government field.
- Easily facilitate with a large number of candidates
- Helps reduce bias-based test evaluation
- Supports Windows and Linux platforms
- Easily deploy on the cloud, SaaS, and web
- Automate proctoring
- Automated grading
- No free version or trial period available
- Very limited features available
With the help of the right proctoring software, you can automate the process of conducting assessments, starting with curating the exam, scheduling test dates, grading the submitted papers, and then revealing the final results via the internet. Since online exams are cheaper, quicker, and more transparent, it is good to install an AI-driven proctoring software to ensure that tests are executed seamlessly and affordably.
If you have already used any of these 15 Exam Proctoring Software, Please feel free to share your reviews here.