The global pandemic of COVID-19 brings forth a significant health issue that has already affected almost all organizations worldwide. The employees are transitioning to remote work to maintain social distance and lockdown protocols. To keep up with remote working and social interactions, free international calling apps have become a necessity.
There are many VoIP phone systems and international calling apps to make communication seamless, and they often come with a catch. You need to wisely choose a modern-day solution to your modern needs and create a communication system that doesn’t face a couple of bumps along this ride.
Fortunately, free options, such as mobile apps and business phone systems, make international phone calls. Many such platforms also allow you to send text messages, images, and videos.
In this article, we have listed the top 15 international calling apps (in no particular order) to make free international calls. So let’s go.
Top Free International Calling App
WhatsApp is owned by Facebook and is a full-featured customer engagement software. The tool is used not only for personal communication but also for business marketing.
Using this software, you can instantly share text messages, photos, multimedia files, and documents for free. You can make voice and video calls using this Free International Calling App.
Furthermore, Whatsapp added end-to-end encryption in 2016 for solid security. It applies to all messages and calls using this free international calling app.
- End-to-end encryption is available and applies to all the messages as well.
- Make calls to any of your contacts for free
- Share images, documents, and videos
- Regular updates available
- The platform allows you to share location, contacts and more
- Security of data due to end-to-end encryption
- Allows you to delete messages
- The platform now supports call waiting when you are busy on another call
- You can use this application from multiple platforms
- The app can be used for sending bulk messages for marketing
- Calls cannot be made to contacts who are not using this platform
- Good Wi-Fi connection is required for calling
WhatsApp is compatible with Android, iOS, and Desktop (Windows).
Skype is the best VoIP solutions provider that you can use to make free national and international calls. You can use this tool for professional purposes by arranging various conferences and meetings. The video and audio recording is one of the distinctive features of Skype. This is one of the best remote working platforms.
The intuitively designed user interface can be adapted easily. You can also contact people outside Skype, i.e., mobile phones or landlines at minimum rates with no peak time.
- Easily use it on laptop, smartphone, and desktop
- Allows for up to 10 participants in group calls with other Skype users for free
- Offers ‘split-view mode’ during video call so that you don’t mix up conversations
- At a glance feature to check all the people who are online on this platform
- Group calls and group chats for seamless communication
- Multi-device support option
- Conduct meetings effectively with screen sharing option
- Add people to a call through your phonebook
- Clear audio and HD video quality
- Call recording
- User-friendly interface
- Create or join a meeting for simplifying remote working
- Screen sharing to share presentations or other relevant documents
- The tool can be configured with an email
- Easy sign-in process
- HD video quality on calls is only possible with good Wi-Fi connection
Skype is compatible with Android, iOS, and Desktop (Windows).
FaceTime is a fully-featured free international calling app that allows you to make one-to-one calls, group calls, video and voice messages, photo sharing, and note-sharing. The tool can be handy for remote working, and you can conduct virtual business meetings, conferences, and other collaborative projects seamlessly.
To use, you will need an Apple ID. FaceTime automatically registers your phone number on an iPhone. Using it is pretty much the same as calling someone using a phone. Simply call the person you want from your contacts.
- This free international calling app is very easy to set up and has an elegant interface
- Communications are protected by end-to-end encryption
- Older devices only support video calls, not voice calls
- Offers split-view mode during group video calls so that you do not mix up conversations
- The tool helps you to receive calls even when the app is not running
- Good quality audio and HD video
- Easy integration with Apple devices
- Invite all the group members for the call, and they can see a live call ongoing in their conversations chatbox where that can jump in anytime
- Quick setup and easy sign-in
- Users just require an apple id to complete the sign-in process
- HD quality video calls
- Communications are protected by end-to-end encryption
- High data consumption in video calls
- Old devices support video calls, not voice calls
FaceTime is compatible only with iOS and Mac.
LINE is an international calling app that connects family and friends in any part of the world. The recipient does not require the LINE app to receive calls.
You can also share text messages, photos, videos, and stickers with your contacts through the app. The platform has more than 1000 stickers to choose from to make your conversations interesting. You can use this app to read the news as well.
- Supports devices like Android, Windows Phone, iPhone, iPad, PC, and LINE Lite on Android
- Allows you to share moments directly from chats via live video
- Enables you to add cute filters to your chat
- Easily integrate your account with email id as well as your phone number
- Follow various companies and artists
- Follow the news and recent updates
- A timeline like a view just like other social media platforms like Facebook
- Share moments directly from chats via live video
- Simple and easy user interface
- Multi-platform support
- Excellent layout with a timeline-like view to get all the updates in one place
- Follow your favorite chefs, artists, celebrities, etc.
- Save your favorite photos, chats, and videos in keep
- High network speed required during calls
LINE is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, Nokia, and Blackberry. The platform can even be used on your desktop.
5. Google Voice
Google Voice is a VoIP phone system that offers free video and voice call services to limited countries. The application allows you to forward calls to any other device. Also, easily detect any spam calls and block them instantly through this platform.
The application gives you the authority to decide who can reach you and at what time.
Making a call using Google Voice is quite easy and offers a user-friendly interface.
- User-friendly interface and can be used on both smartphones and desktop
- Receive transcripts of your voicemails over text messages and emails
- Call recording
- Automatically filter spam calls, transcribe, etc
- Easy integration with Google Meets and Calendars to focus on important events and meetings
- You get a free virtual number that can be used for business marketing
- Conference calls are supported
- Link all the numbers to a single account, so whenever you get a call all devices will ring at the same time
- Set specific voicemail messages for callers
- You can send images, but they will be sent as a link instead of the image directly embedded in a message
- The app does not support HD voice quality, and at the same time it depends on a good Wi-Fi connection
Google Voice is compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows. It can be used on smartphones as well as computers
Viber is one of the best free international calling apps that lets you connect with other users. The tool is quite intuitively designed and easy to use when you want to make or receive international calls.
The app also allows you to initiate group conversations by sharing images, videos, audios using the system. Also, choose from thousands of stickers and GIFs.
- Build and manage conversations with thousands of users
- Delete message feature in case you send some text by mistake
- Check who has read your message in a group conversation
- Easy to switch between mobile and desktop version
- Identify new contacts and friends through the ‘Discover’ tab
- The data is secure by end-to-end encryption
- Easy sign-up process with just a phone number
- Extensive library of emoticons, GIFs, and stickers to select from
- Transfer high-quality images
- Create groups and add participants easily
- You can share files of small size
- There may be too many ads that appear on this platform
Viber is compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
Looking for a Business Phone system? Check out SoftwareSuggest’s list of the best business phone software solutions.
WeChat is one of the most popular free international calling apps in China. You can use this tool to make calls and send messages and book hotels, flights, etc. Not only this, but you can also configure this app with your mails and send and receive emails through this platform.
The tool includes several social media features ‘Moments’ where users can share pictures, and their friends can like or comment on the same.
- Make instant money transfer to other WeChat users
- There are several games inside the app
- Various mini-programs to access editing tools within WeChat
- Login to your Facebook platform within WeChat
- Listen to voice messages without downloading them
- Option to upload images and videos instantly
- Live chat feature to send instant messages
- Supports multiple platforms
- You can also initiate conversations with strangers with various options such as shake, lift around and bottle
- Easily integrates with different other social media channels
- You can not check if a contact is online or offline
- There is a limit on the number of users that you can add as your friends
WeChat is compatible with Windows, Mac, Web, Android, and iOS.
IMO is an international calling app that gives users an advantage to make high-quality video and audio calls. One of the unique features of this app is that it supports international calls even with a 2G connection. The calls made are encrypted for security purposes.
Besides, IMO voice and video calls are encrypted for security purposes. And it even supports encrypted calls for up to six participants. Besides calling, you can even exchange messages with your friends anytime and anywhere.
- Add up to six participants in a single call
- Send music, PDF, images, videos and other files to your contacts
- Application is less in size
- Cloud storage facility available
- Record and send instant voice messages
- Share browse and search your chat history
- Send text messages and add emojis to make it more expressive
- Block any unknown contact
- You can check last seen of your contacts
- If contact is online, you will see “Ringing” while calling them, and if he/she is offline, you will see “Calling”
- There is no privacy for your last seen
- You cannot send your location or contact on IMO
IMO is compatible with Android and iOS
9. Google Duo
Google Duo is one of the best fully-featured international calling software that works even when you have low internet bandwidth. The app offers one-to-one calls, group video calls, voice and video messages, photo transfer, etc. Additionally, users can also restrict data usage while using the app.
- You need security validation before logging in
- Knock knock feature to get complete information about the user who wants to join the call
- Automatic synchronization of phone contacts
- Block unwanted numbers
- HD video call quality
- Message compose feature for those who missed your call
- Security of data due to end-to-end encryption
- Seamless sign-in process
- Send short video and voice messages if a person is unable to pick up your call
- 720p HD video calling services to even people with low internet bandwidth
- Remember device feature is available only in the web-based application
- Regular updates required for iOS users.
Google Duo is compatible with Android, iOS, and Web.
Rebtel is a universal calling tool designed to connect people around the world without a Wi-Fi connection. So now you can call across the border without perfect internet connection and hefty call charges.
The tool connects your call directly over the local phone lines. Although call charges do apply for calls, they are quite minimal. A global unlimited pack will cost you around $10/month and be used to make calls to 50 designated countries.
- Get calling cards to make unlimited calls to a particular country or worldwide
- Make calls over regular phone lines or Wi-Fi depending on your choice
- Free app to app calls
- Send international text messages
- Get all the details of call history and past transactions
- Minimal international calling rates
- User-friendly interface
- The sign-up process is straightforward
International calls can be made without a perfect Wi-Fi connection
- No option to share images
Rebtel is compatible with Android and iOS.
PopTox is an international calling app that lets you connect with people and make international calls from a web browser. You don’t need any application or plug-in to make calls. The tool has a carrier relationship with more than 1000 telecom companies worldwide for seamless calling around the world.
- No application or plug-in required, just open the browser over your phone, dial a number and make free international calls
- No app downloads required
- No credit card details required
- No sign-up required to make phone calls
- Crystal clear voice quality due to alliance with various telecom companies
- Make free calls from smartphone or computer
- The recipient does not need an app for it to work
- Although the tool offers free phone calls, there is a limit on how many calls you can make in one day.
PopTox is a web-based free calling app, and you do not require Android or iOS platforms to use it.
12. Vonage Mobile
Vonage Mobile is a cloud-based VoIP phone system that helps to connect and manage the business at remote locations seamlessly. The tool provides call center and advanced contact center services for unified communication to handle billions of consumer interactions. You can also use the app to send text messages, make free calls, and even video chat.
- Send and receive international messages
- Build-in high-quality voice application
- Stitch conversations from multiple channels to a single thread
- Verify user account with two-factor authentication to prevent frauds
- Call tracking and call merging features available
- HD voice quality
- Easy to set up and configure with your existing system
- Keep same phone numbers even if you move to different locations
- Versatile and can be expanded to meet the needs of a growing business
- The quality of calls is greatly depending on the internet bandwidth that you are using
Vonage Mobile app is compatible with iOS and Android and can be used on smartphones, tablets, and even desktop.
Voxofon was launched in 2008 and is among the first apps to offer free international calls. The tool works on mobile as well as desktops. You can also use this app to send and receive images, text messages, videos, etc. You can even make calls to international cell phone numbers and landlines using Voxofon.
- Excellent voice quality over international calls
- Send text, images, videos and receive replies
- Make cheap international calls directly on phone number and landlines
- Make payment to get credits quickly to make direct calls
- Low cost as compared to other counterparts
- Good audio quality
- Send images easily
- Many clients face difficulty in payments and getting the credits to make calls
Voxofon is compatible with Android, iOS, and desktops.
Phone.com is one of the best VoIP phone systems that can be effectively utilized for remote working. There are many features provided by this application that are a basic necessity of modern business. Calling through this platform is very easy with a variety of features such as Do Not Disturb, custom local numbers for marketing, etc.
- Get a toll free local phone numbers for marketing
- HD quality audio call conferencing
- Get voicemails in your email account
- Send a fax from the phone
- Dial-by-name directory feature to make the calling process seamless
- Hold music
- Click to call and secure call transfer
- You get to choose from a variety of international numbers and local numbers
- Customer support is very helpful
- Intuitively designed user interface
- Features can be expanded as per the needs of a business
- Audio and video call conferencing to make remote working easier
- Call connection depends on internet quality
- Lack of Google chrome extension
Phone.com is compatible with Android and iOS.
TextNow is a free international calling app that can be used to make international calls to over 230 countries. You can use this platform to make online calls and text messages.
You can make calls over Wi-Fi or purchase a suitable plan to make calls without any internet connection. Also, you get a free phone number that can be used for professional purposes.
- Free calling and texting over Wi-Fi
- Conference calling feature to stay connected with your family or team
- Send text messages to your groups
- Voicemail feature
- Get a free phone number for professional purpose
- Call forwarding
- Tones can be customized
- Variety of emojis and stickers
- Caller id to identify unknown numbers
- Unified inbox to get all the messages in one place
- Calling process is very easy
- Remove ads by subscribing to paid plans
- Passcode feature to secure messages
- Floating chat feature to get quick access
- There are many ads in the free version, and you need to upgrade to a premium version to stop ads.
TextNow is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X.
These international calling apps let you make calls abroad and provide a wide variety of features such as image and video sharing, call forwarding, and call recording. Also, many features can be expanded as per the changing needs of your business.
So, which international calling app is best for you?
Choose a perfect app from the above list of 15 apps and get started to explore the full features. Tell us below in the comment section of which one would you consider using from this list.