Point Of Sale (POS) software is required to handle the transactions happening in your company, which processes the funds. POS software also provides an e-store that manages the inventory and has many more features.
Till now, many retailers have been spending a considerable amount of money on the premium point of sale software. But, there are many advanced yet freemium POS software for small businesses having extraordinary features that deal with Mega Stores, Inventory Management Software for Businesses, Employee Management, and so on.
If you didn’t know that there are many open-source POS software available in the market, then we bring you a list of 14 best free or open-source software in this blog. But, before we jump on it, let us know why you should be using POS software.>What is the Use of POS software?
POS software is basically software that helps you perform efficient financial transactions through a cash register, computer, or even an iPad. Having said this, the software keeps a record of the purchases done and communicates with the inventory levels to keep things in equilibrium.
An excellent POS software will help you speed up the checkout process of customers during peak hours to help generate more sales. It provides customer transaction data in real-time, automates your inventory management, and provides an accurate sales history that can be integrated with other systems. In short, it helps you simplify staff management.
14 Best Open-Source POS Software
RetailCloud is perfect for small retailers for their retail management solution. Apart from the necessary basic features like handling POS operations and monitoring inventory levels, one can analyze store performance and run loyalty programs with RetailCloud. Their enterprise version is available at $60/month, while its open-source version is a cloud-based and free-to-use application.
- Cloud-based POS solution available for free on Android devices
- Unlimited transactions
- Can store unlimited items
- Unlimited technical support
- Multiple Users can access the software
- Integrates with MailChimp and CRM
- Signature Capture & EMV-Ready Payment Acceptance
- E-commerce integration
- Customizing functions
- In-app chat support
- Easy-to-use for a non-technical employee
- Thin data security
- Doesn’t work on Apple devices
- May not showcase currency of all countries
- Doesn’t have a hybrid data storage
Although it has a free version available online, it charges in four different ways if you want a customized POS model starting from $20/month. Also, it offers a free trial.
2. Wanda POS
Wanda POS is a free and open-source POS software that is platform-independent and dynamic. It runs on Windows (Vista, 7, 8), Linux, and Mac OS. Downloading this free POS software synchronizes the information of customers and products from POS to any ERP application like iDempiere.
- In-built database
- Available in 15 languages
- Flexible to use in any setup like restaurants, cafeterias, bars, and bookshops
- Customizable sales screen with excellent resolution
- Provides security to each user from admin to manager, clerk, customers, etc.
- It is hosted on the cloud, including the external terminal support and internal payment gateway
- It generates high-quality reports every week
- Makes things systematic and easy to handle
- User-friendly interface
- Doesn’t have regular updates on the software
Wanda POS is a completely free open-source POS software available online.
ProffittCenter works as a cash register, which runs discounts and takes money for small retailers like The Key Hut. It is the best option for having all the functionalities for beginners to start with because of its fantastic user interface and simplicity. ProffittCenter is a free windows point of sale software download.
- Windows compatible
- Provides free customer care support
- Works on every currency
- Keeps backup of your database without spending a single penny
- User-friendly interface and stunning design
- Provides responsive support every week through email or phone
- Free updates and no payments ever
- Easy to set up
- Intuitive software
- Can only be installed on a Windows desktop
- Has only fundamental features
Proffittcenter POS is free to download from online anywhere. However, if you do not have the right hardware then they charge for installing hardware pieces of equipment only.
Looking for Retail POS Software and POS Billing Software? Check out SoftwareSuggest’s list of the best retail POS software and POS billing software
4. Loyverse POS
Loyverse is a free POS app intended for use on any IOS or Android devices. Loyverse POS makes it easy for you to manage the inventory, visualize the sales analytics, and retain, acquire, and even manage your customers. With the help of this post software, you can also get information regarding the average yearly spend. Loyverse is 100% free pos software for small stores, shops, and salons. Also, Loyverse offers 24/7 live chat support.
- It fits right on your stores of any kind (Café, Bar, Bike Shop, Bakery, Computer Shop, etc.)
- Includes free tools for managing retail businesses
- Inventory management for low stock alarm also stock tracking
- Mobile registers are used for sending e-receipts to your customers from tablets and smartphones
- Includes the sales analytics, and produces daily analytics reports for business growth
- Consists of the two-way channel for communication
- Consists of an employee management scheme that defines the permissions and roles of your employees
- Excellent customer service
- Intuitive built-in loyalty program
- Has enough features in its free version
- Cannot be integrated with other systems
- Features are a ton, but the functionality of them is limited
- Need to have an internet connection to run the software
Loyverse POS is completely free. However, it charges for any add-on features you want such as employee management and inventory management at $5 per employee/month and $25 per store/month respectively in the software. It also provides a 14-day trial version.
Managing a retail shop is not easy. Handling your sales, stock, accounting, and the shop should be fast and straightforward. Odoo is an open-source POS solution as it makes managing easier with fully integrated inventory management software and accounting modules. You can download this open-source POS software for Windows, Ubuntu, and RPM.
- The straightforward interface to serve multiple customers at the same time
- Barcode scanner for price discounts and recognizes the customer loyalty card
- Allows credit card payments and invoicing
- Restaurant management, order processing & table selection
- Multiple printers connection, order sending & refund handling
- Warranty tracking follows customer claims & delivery schedule
- Allows customization for sales strategies and promotions
- Easy to set up and all the modules are easy to integrate
- Incredible software design
- Ethical framework and easy to deploy
- Not excellent customer support service
- Customizing features is difficult
- Lack of any technical and fundamental documentations
- Lacks automated migration tools
Odoo POS has a community edition which is completely free. However, its enterprise version charges $20 per user/ month in annual billing while in monthly billing, it charges $25 per user/month.
Unicenta is redefining open-source POS software for retailers of any size. You can download this open-source point of sale software for bars, restaurants, and shops. In short, ideal for hospitality businesses and even retailers. It gives you the freedom to choose a database host from either its cloud-based application, self-hosted or on-premise applications.
- Supports multiple database options
- Includes the stock maintenance facility
- Comes with a weight scale support for CAS-PDII and Mettler
- Can add new pop-up customers within the sale and reprint the last receipt
- Can be set up on any of your devices
- Inventory Management, Report Generation, Customer Relationship Management and Employee Management Services
- Generates detailed reports of customer transactions
- Has a lot of functions that some of paid POS software don’t even offer
- Runs on most of the devices
- Difficult troubleshooting sometimes
- Might need a little technical prowess to navigate
- Customization is chargeable
Unicenta offers a free trial version after which it provides you two payment options for annual billing starting from $78.
7. Floreant POS
Floreant POS is another one of the most popular and free open-source PO for retailers and business people who are in hospitality. Floreant POS supports commercial and third-party plugins to make itself convenient to use. It is supported in Windows, Mac, Linux and Java-based tablets, and PC.
The cloud compatibility of this software makes it the best choice for retailers. It integrates the standard features of an industry with itself.
- It can run on any platform and has been tested on Linux, Windows, and Mac
- Has a client-server architecture powered by Java, Apache Derby/ Java DB, JavaPOS API, etc.
- Accepts coupons and gift cards
- Handles payment in different combinations from cash to different types of cards
- Kitchen automation and order management
- Front-of-house managerial functions
- Multi-printer support
- No-fuss to set up and easy to use
- Stable system doesn’t crash often
- Can train employees easily
- Allows mobile POS
- Provides back-offer operation manager
- Advanced options might be hard to configure
- Bugs may be found while using the software
- Doesn’t integrate with other systems
Floreant POS is open-source software, a free version as well as a user-pay model. It starts at $50 as a one-time payment per user. There is also a trial version option to check out premium features.
eHopper is a free POS software application that was created to help small business owners to satisfy their business needs. The free version of this software provides all the necessary functionalities to a small business. But there are some premium functionalities charged at $29 per month for seamless integration of loyalty apps. eHopper provides its own hardware to purchase, but the software can be used on your devices without paying any rent.
- Inventory management
- Contact management
- It splits the payments and provides email supports.
- Employee management
- Delivery management
- Syncs real-time information really fast
- Easy to use and keeps your transactions organized
- Software is constantly evolving
- Misses a few necessary features
- Avoids charging merchant fees to the business owner
- Have to purchase a premium version to use all its features
eHopper POS has a free version with access to limited features. But it’s subscription starts at $30/month depending upon the kind of features you require for your business.
9. Vend POS
This is a cloud-based POS system that helps to track the inventory, save products, and much more. Vend POS is the perfect POS solution for retail stores of any business types from fashion boutiques to coffee shops, bike shops, sports and outdoors, health and beauty, home and lifestyle, and so on. Operates wholly based on the cloud to make functioning easy for its users.
- E-commerce integration
- Provides the functionality to generate receipts
- Customize the receipt with the logo and website name
- Cash Management
- User Account Management
- Performs multiple payment gateway options
- Generates the performance reports, inventory reports, products and sales reports, and end of the day reports
- 24/7 global support
- Good loyalty program
- Multi-store capabilities
- Intuitive interface
- Good reporting structure
- Lack of third-party app integration
- Slows down if the load is too much
- Products take a while to sync since it is cloud-based
Vend has a free version for the community which charges $99/month (if billed annually) to access a handful of more features than its open version. You’ll need to request a quote to get its enterprise-level POS version which might start from $150/month.
KeyHut is a cash register for small retail businesses or shops at a startup level. It can run on your personal PC, thus making it easy to use. KeyHut works well with the printer or any cash register and also accepts the barcode scanners. It performs heavy-duty jobs efficiently, which helps boost sales, especially during rush hours.
- Converts your computer into a cash register using its Cash Register Tool
- Includes a ticket selling software
- Barcode scanning
- Provides customer support
- You can add up to 26,000 different items in the database
- Ordering automation
- Inventory management
- Can help cater to customers faster
- Doesn’t use much RAM
- Gives a retro feeling to transactions
- The programing language might be challenging to help configure
- Takes practice to learn
- Cannot use a mouse, can only work with a keyboard
Its free version is enough to get your business going. But it also has a ridiculous amount of one-time payment of $1 for a few additional features.
Imonggo is a popular open-source POS software, which is best suited for small- to- mid-range retail businesses. Its free version supports a single user with a single-store setup, and the premium version costs $30 per month per branch.
Furthermore, the interface is clean and straightforward, which makes it quite easy to use. It can cater to a wide range of retail industries, including clothing stores, kiosks, boutiques, bookstores, and more.
- Generate barcodes using Dymo LabelWriter or a regular printer
- Set different pricing schemes for every branch of your store
- Provides excellent insights by analyzing your sales data
- Tracks and maintains records of your customer’s information
- Customizing reward program
- Functioning and straightforward user interface
- Functions offline as well
- Doesn’t have any phone support
- Limited integrating options
- Limited payment processing options
Imonggo’s pricing is based on the number of products you can store in its POS software. For the first 1000 products, the POS is free of charge. For unlimited products of even 1001 products, it charges $30/branch.
WallacePOS is another best open-source POS software for small- and- medium-sized enterprises. The system is well-praised for its clean and easy-to-use interface.
What’s more, its rich dashboard offers extensive functionalities, including exporting data, generating reports, and more. It is also compatible with standard POS hardware, such as a barcode scanner and receipt printer.
- Compatible with all major operating systems and browsers, such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.
- Can produce professional receipts that contain your business logo, custom text, and QR code
- Supports Tyro Integrated Eftpos terminals, only the hosted version though
- Allows you to export data easily and analyze it for deeper insights
- Enables you to make sales even without an internet connection
- Based on web-app
- Customization of features is easy
- Glitches if too much data is uploaded
- Challenging to retrieve any sales invoice information
It doesn’t mention any pricing on its website which makes it a completely free and open-source POS software. But, if you think this POS software suits your business then it has the option of donating any amount on its website to help them develop better versions of Wallace POS.
13. Chromis POS
Chromis is a feature-rich POS software that supports multi-terminal modes making it efficient to install on any operating system device. Its scripting language is excellent to allow easy customization of features by the users. It comes with a kitchen screen display to track live orders and a CSV import that can help produce product lists.
- Supports loyalty programs
- Java 18 supported
- Supports an extensive range of hardware
- Built-in reporting analytics
- Supports USB printers
- Barcode scanning easily accessible
- Easy to go through the documentation
- Clean code to understand
- Excellent support forum
- Flexible to use all the features
- Card payment system may not support all countries
- Crashes at times after recent updates
The pricing for Chromis has not been provided which means it is available for free online. However, it also doesn’t have a free trial which means once installed, you got to explore it out yourself.
14. Pangea POS
Pangea POS is one of the only open-source POS software that may be designed to work with touchscreens and has three versions depending on the business- restaurants, retail management, and spa. With the help of its paid and free versions, you can easily centralize your different outlets. It makes managing back-office operations and reports analysis convenient resulting in informed decisions.
- Can create multiple accounts
- Supports multiple printers
- Create different skins to match with your brand
- Customizing category and product buttons to differentiate
- Multiple payment gateways and accepts different currencies
- Easy to send multiple reports through emails
- Easy to create vouchers and save them
- Support tools are chargeable
- Customer support takes time to reply regarding any software updates and bug fixes
Pangea POS doesn’t charge for its software version but if you need an installation remotely on your devices then they charge $100-$200 as a one-time payment.
Also, Read: Difference Between Traditional POS and Cloud-Based POS Software
Choosing the best POS software for your business is a tough job, but you need to keep in mind that the software must be easy to use, reliable, and has excellent service support.
After all, who would not like any hiccups during the transaction of money? Hence, before going with any particular POS software from any vendors, ask for a trial period to find out yourself whether it suits all your needs or not.
Have you come across any of these 14 open-source POS software? Let us know your experience below in the comment section.