Fundamentals of Database designing
If you can craft an accurately designed database, it can offer you the latest and accurate information necessary to gain efficiency in your workflow. While working with a database, the exactness of the design is very much essential in achieving your target. It is, therefore, certainly rewarding to spend your time and money in learning the true procedures of designing a database. With the right efforts made, you can easily achieve a database that will meet all your needs.
Looking for Business Intelligence Tools? Check out SoftwareSuggest’s list of the best business intelligence tools.
An ER diagram and BI tools help you craft a precise and clean database and to achieve maximum efficiency in your workflow.
This article will guide you regarding the ways to create a database by yourself. You will get to know what information you should select, how to place them in proper tables and columns, and how the data is related to each other. You must go through this article before you start creating your database.
Some important terms related to database
The information is basically put down in a table. A simple database consists of only one table. But most other databases have more than one table. Different tables are set up for different purposes. For e.g., one table might be for a product; another table might consist of data about orders; yet another one may hold data about customers.
In the database system, each row is known as a record, and each column is known as the field. The record consists of information about the product, and the column consists of information about the name, price, or serial no. of the product.
BI modeling tools
BI modeling tools let you create custom calculations based on the already existing table, and hence, empower you to create power BI visuals.
A few popular BI reporting tools are as such,
How should a precise database be?
Various rules guide for a perfect database formation,
The first rule of a database is that the replica model of data is not acceptable.
The second is that the data that you are providing should be completely written. If it is not complete, then the database becomes useless. If there is any kind of wrong information in your data, then the conclusion that you are going to make based on that data will also be wrong. So, you have to take proper care of the information that you held in a database.
To prepare a good database, you must follow these techniques,
- All your information should be divided into proper rows and columns to avoid the misunderstanding and mixture of information.
- Make tables according to your convenience. Understand the concept of your work as to where and how will you require the data in your workflow process, and prepare accordingly.
- Don’t compromise with the exactitude of your information.
- Get a clear idea about the data you are arranging and also about all the concepts related to it.
The most crucial part is the designing process.
Steps to Designing a Database
- Determine the main concept of your database. This will help you in finding out the remaining steps.
- Research and find out the required information related to your project. Gather all the necessary data about the product which is required for your database.
- Distribute the information according to your convenience. Assign the rows and columns according to your information like order and price, order and customer, price and expenditure, etc.
- Divide the information into different topics or themes. Give headings to each theme, and the different themes will consist of different tables.
- You must prefer each column for storing data for only one product. Don’t mix up the information as it may misguide you later. You must be clear with the purpose of different tables and use them accordingly.
- Choose a particular primary key. The primary key is a special column that embodies each row. For instance, it may consist of a product identification number and customer identification number.
- It is very important to use the ER diagram and BI modeling tools precisely.
- Your database must consist of the relationships between your tables. You must create your tables. If it is not clear from your database, then create a separate table correlating the different tables of your database.
- Recheck your work. Take a sample of a good database and compare your work with it. Check whether it is convenient to use your database according to the needs. To check that, you must use your database by yourself first to find out the errors and relativity of the tables according to the requirements, and then go for it.
- Finally, use the normalization rules to check whether the data is put in the right form or not.
It is always useful to write down the purpose of the particular database for the sake of convenience of working. You must describe how to use it. There will not be any problem if you are creating a database for a small scale business unit. But when it comes to big corporate, there will be thousands of databases for different purposes. So, if the purpose is not included, it would be very difficult, and a lot of muddles would be inevitable. Therefore, writing the purpose of a database is of immense importance. For instance, you can simply write, “The customer database is to find out the address for delivery of the product.”
One of the most trending databases in today’s market is a MySQL database.
The usefulness of a MySQL Database
Money transactions through MySQL are very safe and secure since it uses only a single path in a transaction.
It can easily customize any critical or huge amount of data that may not be possible with any other database.
It lends you a wide variety of writing styles; whether your business is a small scale endeavor, a medium level set up or an established large enterprise, you can easily get access to MySQL database, which is also very simple to use.
MySQL provides a very quick and fast work experience. You can simply download the software within 15 mins and start working.
It has high-security measures. Any kind of business plan, strategy, or information is kept safe from any threat of being leaked out from the MySQL database.
Learn more about creating a MySQL Database and the use of BI modeling tools and ER diagrams to gain a guaranteed easy working and a higher efficiency.