Business processes in firms need to be reviewed from time to time and eliminate any redundancies to streamline them. It can become quite a daunting task to deal with for the biggest of firms when introducing newer techniques and revamping and eliminating older ones. An efficient Business Process Software helps facilitate simulation of the entire lifecycle of business processes i.e., design, development, analysis, modification, and testing.
Once the process is mapped and analyzed, it is checked for inconsistencies and bottlenecks. As per statistics, the BPM market is slated to grow at a rate of 15.5% by 2026 globally. While many standalone proprietary BPM software tools require individual attention to each lifecycle stage, many open-source software tools have proved to be a better bargain in terms of integration compatibilities.
Importance of Business Process Management Software For Your Business
Business process management software helps ease all your troubles by automating process flows and enhancing overall productivity. What’s more, these state-of-the-art BPM software tools are great at cutting down costs and being more regulatory compliant.
16 Best Free and Open Source BPM Software
Tool #1: Bonitasoft
This lightweight tool, better known as Bonita BPM, helps build better coordination with the diverse DevOps teams by facilitating smoother application delivery.
It has also proven to be more compatible with evolving business procedures over a while. It has helped carve robust infrastructure with the support of more than 12000 members of the open-source BPM software community.
- Uses Business Process Modeling and Notation Standard 2.0 (BPMN) for process modeling and to create an efficient graphical representation of the business processes
- Can be extended to integrate with enterprise systems like ERPs, ECPs, CRMs, and other leading platforms
BonitaSoft is designed to grow as your business grows. If you are looking for rapid business growth, this tool comes equipped with the power to be modified at the production stage and undergo power testing to expedite iterations.
Free-to-use community edition. Subscription model available for enterprise-level.
Tool #2: Red Hat JBoss BPM Suite
Imagine a single platform offering an all-inclusive package like business process mapping, resource planning, and event configurations. Red Hat JBoss BPM suite does all this and more. It is one platform that can seamlessly capture and automate all business processes.
With the ease of having the ability to deploy it across the web, cloud, or on-site, this open-source bpm software has been a preferred choice for many IT companies as well as other business organizations.
Previously called the Red Hat Process Automation Manager, this software tool has been instrumental in automating many business processes as well as business decisions globally.
- The Red Hat Openshift allows you to implement microservices for the cloud on the cloud
- You can utilize all the features of Drools to the maximum
- The built-in solver helps solve the most complex of optimization issues
The Cloud-Native development and Drools, two great features that you must try out with this tool. Coming from a global leader in open-source tools, you should definitely avail of its award-winning benefits for your business.
Free trial for the development version. Subscription-based model for Production use.
Tool #3: Alfresco By Activiti
One of the best open source BPM software tools out there, Activiti, has emerged as one of the best workflow engine platforms for business organizations.
Equipped with a lightning-quick BPMN 2.0 Java Process Engine, the lightweight tool is capable of dealing with all types of aspects, whether it is analysis or mapping/modeling, to process compatibility checks and software support.
- Business users can avail the Step Editor for its friendly GUI feature
- Advanced BPM analysts can leverage BPMN Editor for more intricate process modeling
- Very easy to integrate with other platforms
- It complies with worldwide industry standards like DMN and BPMN 2.0
- Alfresco Content Services help integrate and control regulatory and compliance standards
Business people and developers can easily get attracted to this BPM software for its high-performance process engine, which can help manage critical business processes seamlessly.
30-Day free trial and charges based on a subscription model after the trial period.
Tool #4: Adobe LiveCycle
Adobe LiveCycle is a high-end open-source bpm software that caters to the essential need to integrate enterprise documentation and form platform. The software tool helps reduce process costs by automating critical business processes and helps automate the process of form filling.
The tool is efficient at the modeling of business processes, streamlining team communications, and diligently capturing form data.
Adobe LiveCycle is literally the mediator between connecting the processes and relaying the information to concerned teams. Digital asset management, data security, community communication portal, social engagement, and document management are the key features of this very robust tool. Not just on-site but across all geographical locations, with Adobe LiveCycle, it is so simple to manage your assets and processes.
- Can be accessed on Adobe Cloud
- Translation option for assets for a global audience
- Has reader extensions and ECM Connectors
- You don’t have to know how to code to build pages here, just drag-and-drop
This software is convenient to deliver personalized and sensitive communications, which can help improve your company’s operational efficiency.
The pricing is based on a subscription model and can range from $200-$600.
Tool #5: ProcessMaker
Lowest overheads are definitely one reason ProcessMaker stands out in the crowd of BPM software tools. Its intuitive and easy-to-use GUI makes it a go-to choice for many business organizations. It is equipped with a robust BPMN 2.0 feature based on a simple drag-and-drop technique to resize process elements.
It has this convenient toolbox that can be used to create digital forms easily accessible on the web. This free bpm software comes equipped with a DynaForm Designer that helps you develop hassle-free forms and that too, with no coding knowledge required.
- Available on both iOS and Android
- DynaForm Designer helps create forms without and hassles
- With the REST API, you can integrate the BPM tool with any other external communication platforms
- The tool assesses user performance with the help of EEI (Employee Efficiency Index) and that of the process with the help of PEI (Process Efficiency Index)
ProcessMaker is really intuitive to work on model approval-based workflows. It’s extensive toolbox and click interface will definitely help you reduce your paperwork radically.
The tool offers three packages beside a free Demo:
- Platform – Tailored for SMBs. $1,495/month billed annually
- Enterprise – Tailored for Low-Code iBPMs. $1,495/month billed annually
- Application – Tailored for purpose solution. Custom billed annually
Looking for Business Process Management Software? Check out SoftwareSuggest’s list of the best BPM Software solutions.
Tool #6: Modelio
Modelio has been around for 20 years now, catering to the needs of developers, analysts, and system architects when it comes to the ease of configuring modules of your choice. It is an open-source BPM software tool that is adaptable with HTML, UML, and BPMN and Script Language features.
When it comes to flexibility, Modelio lets ‘you’ do the talking, and it merely adapts! Armed with the best of modules like WSDL Designer, Java, Togaf Architect, and not-to-forget UML Testing capability, it allows as many Model additions and extensions as you like.
- BPMN enables efficient Business Process Modeling
- SoaML (Service-oriented architecture Modeling Language ) helps in service modeling for distributed platforms
- UML2 Profiles can be used in collaboration with BPEL, WSDL, and XSD
It can be coded in any way to get specific customizations because of its adaptability with HTML, UML, and BPMN and Script Language features. For a developer, this tool is really flexible to use.
Modelio offers a free trial but it has a one-time payment of around $450/per user.
Tool #7: Camunda
Suited mainly for Spring and JAVA EE, Camunda, one of the largest firms globally, is an extremely light platform to work with. It’s a highly scalable tool equipped with BPMN 2.0 that can be used for container functionality for jBoss, Tomcat, and the like without having to switch off the processing engines.
This open-source BPM software tool is built for robust APIs and scripting language assistance. Because of its dynamic and scalable features, it’s one of the top players in the BPM solutions domain.
- Use it as a standalone remote REST API or embed it into your java app, the tool is really flexible
- Use the intuitive Camunda Modeler to map and edit your BPM diagrams and decision tables
- Users – admins, system architects, developers, or business users can use the Camunda Cockpit to resolve workflow-related issues
- Some of its features help design logic-driven decision tables, which can be seamlessly integrated with the workflow engine
This software is ideal for business analysts and developers or anyone working on the same diagrams to efficiently fuse the workflow management.
Tool #8: RunaWFE
When working across regional platforms, RunaWFE should be your go-to free BPM software tool. The tool is a web-based one that integrates easily with all enterprise apps, Alfresco, and the LDAP/MS directory.
A phenomenal end-user solution for BPM-related needs, you can access the tool in various languages and on different Operating systems like Windows, Solaris, FreeBSD, and of course, Linux.
- Easily integrates with Alfresco
- It is powered with bots to aid in the execution of automated tasks and responses
- Accessible on all web-based operating systems
- Excellent flexibility for role executors
RunWFE BPM software tool falls in the category of ready-to-use and easy-to-access BPM tools. The work has already been done for you; it’s genuinely for no-fuss system implementations.
Tool #9: jBPM
One of the smoothest and hassle-free open source BPM software tools, jBPM acts as the perfect bridge between developers and analysts.
It is driven by BPMN 2.0 and can be used on any Java application.
- It can be embedded with ease for new deployments
- The WS-HumanTask, a plug-in to perform human tasks, is a great add-on
- Models can be created in both web-based as well as Eclipse-based editors
- Provision of a management console to oversee and handle all reporting, task form tasks, task listing, as well as incident management
- Historical log maintenance for older issues, reports, and analysis
- All pluggable transactions are based on JTA and JPA
If you are looking for BPM tools that could run on any platform, it should definitely be taken into consideration as it is built purely in Java and can run on any JVM.
It has a free trial and is also free to use after the test for the community. However, it has a subscription-based model for an enterprise level.
Tool #10: Joget
Another great market player that comes equipped with agile management capabilities is Joget. This web-based open source BPM software tool can support all agile development-related features such as lists, forms, CRUM, and the GUI.
In regards to the technical configuration, the tool can be deployed using Java Spring on the Apache Tomcat server.
- Easy to build Webs apps for mobile as well as cloud-based apps
- It can be quickly done with or without any programming language to build apps for all industries like HR, Healthcare, and so on
- Joget marketplace offers readymade apps as well as plug-in extensions
- Easy-to-use UI
Joget lets you manage workflow efficiently to build your web apps intuitively. It is a perfect software for web development companies.
Depends on the mode of deployment:
Tool #11: jSonic BPM
This free BPM software tool is a comprehensive solution for all BPM-related needs. jSonic BPM is a “Zero-coding” app that offers numerous benefits for your organization like optimized process efficiency, cost reduction, streamlined and automated business processes, optimal asset utilization, enhanced compliance standards, and increased customer satisfaction.Key Features
- A complete suite of solutions- from design to final testing and deployment
- Business modeling is easily achieved with the help of the Workflow module
- The task manager helps to oversee, report, and update all workflow-related tasks. Workflow scheduling can be done with the help of calendar features
- UI can be dynamically designed with the help of an Interface Designer
- Additional modules for automated reporting and management of data
Enterprise owners can easily align their business processes that are volatile due to dynamic market conditions and prone to customization due to customer’s requirements through jSonic’s BPM.
Tool #12: ARIS Express
A great open-source BPM software resource for educational institutions, ARIS Express, comes loaded with features that can be customized per individual needs. The GUI is simple and easy to use, keeping in mind BPM beginners and not-so-frequent users.
The ARIS method has been known for boosting productivity and producing exceptional results; hence ARIS Express could not be far behind. You can create organization charts for each unit and person. In terms of business modeling, you can create business process maps, systems, IT infrastructure, and process models/landscape. The tool is powered with BPMN as well.
- Multi-language assistance
- Quick response time
- Users can avail of the free and vast training documentation online as well as on the ARIS community
- Supports multitasking
- Mini toolbar for process landscapes
ARIS Express’ BPM ensures that there is a community forum available for you to refer to in case you are a new user or have no programming experience. Thus, it is a perfect software for occasional users and beginners.
ARIS Express is mostly free for use but depending upon your organizational needs, you can get enterprise-level BPM at the range of $100-$600/month.
Tool #13: Bizagi BPMN
Bizagi Modeller is yet another major player in the BPM domain with its numerous features. It’s not just another open-source BPM software tool. You could create detailed and conclusive BPMN diagrams and allow the process model to be accessible by all levels of authority as well as users.
Apt for big and small organizations, this tool is built to enforce better and smoother team communications courtesy its collaborative and cloud-based model. You could use the quick drag-and-drop tool for designing or could work in real-time as a team.
With Bizagi Modeller, everyone gets a chance to be involved throughout the process, from a developer to a business user.
- Supports high-quality documentation and in various formats – PDF, Word, Web, etc
- Clear and coherent designs possible
- The smallest of tasks are automated, hence improved workflows
- Multi-language support
Bizagi’s platform works on that business model, emphasizing the importance of all users working together on a document to verify and modify details in it, thus preventing all the unnecessary to and fro of the documents and its rework.
Tool #14: ARCWAY Cockpit
Handle all your BPM-related tasks with ARCWAY Cockpit. Whether it is about formal documentation of business processes or its tremendously intuitive GUI, this tool has it all covered.
What’s more, you can easily integrate process/business landscapes, data models, and process chains. Hierarchies are used to structure data more coherently, which is why you can drill-down the organization structure or technical aspects with great ease.
Another exciting feature is that you could integrate the plans with personal documents and get the whole layout on a Word or HTML document.
- Easy to export requirements from MS Excel
- All modifications can be easily traced
- Easy access to data for business managers
- You can showcase the current as well as projected project state
ARCWAY Cockpit allows structured formal documentation as well as the ability to export it for personal use and sharing. It would be good to have a detailed representation of the business processes and the organization hierarchies.
Tool #15: W4 Web Modeler
SaaS-based, and you don’t even have to install it – that’s W4 Web Modeler for you by ITESOFT Ecosystem. This BPMN tool can be accessed directly from the web browser. It is BPMN 2.0 based, hence the clarity and efficiency of the business processes.
The tool is excellent from a collaboration point of view since it allows multiple users to access and modify it in real-time. Functional analysts and business architects will both find this as a handy tool to use. The drag-and-drop feature adds to the charm!
- The catalog can be shared and modified by the community members
- Easy-to-use and intuitive GUI
- You can use conversion tools to reuse old process diagrams
If you are not a coder but want a hassle-free and efficient BPM tool, this is a beautiful tool to get started. What’s more, you can not only choose from 1000+ public processes but can also contribute to the ITESOFT Ecosystem.
Free trial up to 10 users for 30 days. After that, it is priced at $785/year and per license.
Tool #16: SYDLE SEED
SYDLE SEED is another handy tool when it comes to virtual modeling and manages processes. The process editor feature lets users work simultaneously and collaboratively on the tool.
The tool is configured in Java, which makes it easy to design, model, and test the BPMN-supported framework. Whether it is a form filling or automating processes, with Sydle Seed, it’s all so easy!
- Proprietary training program to guide new users
- Process tracking through charts and alert notifications for any break-down
- Custom security authorization for individual users
- It can be easily integrated with other technologies
SYDLE SEED helps you scale over some time and can help you boost your revenues by effectively streamlining and modeling business processes.
Free trial available, chargeable after that. However, it is open for the community, charges $2900/year on demand, $39,900/year for a private cloud, and $49,900/year for on-site.
Business processes need an overview and streamlining from time to time. You could drive greater profits by merely taking care of the business processes in place. BPM software tools are built to help efficiently manage your organization’s business processes and to enable better regulatory compliance.
You can choose to improve the business as well as the financial health of your organization and keep up with the latest trends in the market by merely deploying a BPM software.
We went over many free and open-source BPM tools. Which one do you think is the best fit for your organization?
|Product Name||Mobile Platforms||Visual Workflow||Document Management||Drag-and-Drop Process|
|Red Hat JBoss BPM suite||Android & iOS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Alfresco By Activiti||Android & iOS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ProcessMaker||Android & iOS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Joget||Android & iOS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Bizagi BPMN||Android & iOS||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|W4 Web Modeler||–||Yes||Yes||Yes|